Adobe Software and AI: Scott Kelby & Kristina Sherk at Depth of Field 202308/03/2023
The integration of AI technologies with Adobe software has set the creative world on its head. To get a read on this hot-button, rapidly evolving field, we tapped two generations of tech wizardry—Scott Kelby, the original Photoshop Guy, and retouching powerhouse Kristina Sherk. We sat down with both of these experts at B&H's 2023 Depth of Field Conference in February 2023.
Above photograph © Kristina Sherk
Our first guest is Scott Kelby, the original Photoshop guy, who discusses the good and the bad of AI technology, from how it helps create workflow efficiencies to it potentially costing some photographers a job. Kelby envisions a future comprising high-end pros and serious iPhoneographers. With this in mind, we delve into the growing advantages of capturing images on a mobile device, while also identifying subjects that still require more robust gear.
After a break, Kristina Sherk shares details about the powerful AI selection tools integrated into the Classic and Mobile versions of Adobe Lightroom, which are disruptive in a good way. Stay to the end for her story about saving the day for a wedding photographer whose sharp focus was disrupted by a rogue officiant who stepped in front of the lens just before a couple's first kiss.
Guests: Scott Kelby & Kristina Sherk
- 1:15: Scott Kelby's three Depth of Field presentations and his views on the good and the bad about Artificial Intelligence: from immediately removing powerlines in an image to the potential for costing some photographers their job.
- 7:54: The future evolution of photography: High-end real pros and serious iPhoneographers, plus the use of exit-level cameras for photographers aged 65+.
- 10:17: Kelby's talk on using the iPhone for travel photography at B&H's Optic conference, in Monterey, California.
- 15:36: The value of quality tools: From photo gear to the benefits of recording with a sophisticated microphone.
- 16:58: The vibe of the crowd at B&H's live in-person events: It's like photo camp!
- 20:46: Episode Break
- 21:58: Kristina Sherk's presentations on advancements to Lightroom Classic, and AI selection tools that are disruptive in a good way.
- 25:27: Advances for portrait photographers include a laundry list of selection areas for one-click choices that can be integrated into AI-backed smart presets.
- 32:47: Comparing adjustments to a final image made with Lightroom Classic on a large monitor and those made on a phone using Lightroom Mobile—It depends on how screens are calibrated.
- 37:43: Sherk's thoughts on Adobe's prompt-based AI technology and her excitement about integrating subjects into a fabricated background: The possibilities are endless.
- 41:31: Sherk's favorite thing to fix in post, plus her biggest retouching challenges.
Scott Kelby is president of KelbyOne, an online educational community for photographers. He is editor, publisher, and cofounder of Photoshop User magazine, host of The Grid, a live weekly talk show, and founder of the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk.™ Kelby is a photographer, designer, and award-winning author of Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It, The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers, The Flash Book, The Natural Light Photography Book and The Digital Photography Book, which has become the #1 top-selling book ever on digital photography.
For the past 15 years, Kristina Sherk has been a retoucher and Photoshop educator based in Washington, D.C. She loves "translating Photoshop" for photographers and, subsequently, has spoken at AdobeMAX, CreativeLive, Photoshop World, Photoshop Virtual Summit, Canon, LinkedIn Learning, ImagingUSA and WPPI. In 2021, Sherk launched her own education platform for her students and teaches them on SharkPixel.com.
Scott Kelby Website: https://scottkelby.com
Scott Kelby Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/scottkelby
Scott Kelby Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SKelby
Scott Kelby YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/kelbymediagroup
Scott Kelby Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/skelby01
Kristina Sherk / Shark Pixel Website: https://www.sharkpixel.com
Kristina Sherk / Shark Pixel Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shark_pixel
Kristina Sherk Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sharkpixel
Kristina Sherk / Shark Pixel YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@SharkPixel
Host: Allan Weitz
Senior Creative Producer: Jill Waterman
Senior Producer: Mike Weinstein
Executive Producer: Shawn C Steiner